Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Sabino Canyon

For the most part, my training has been going well. Last Saturday we ran up Sabino Canyon. It was gorgeous! It was also very flooded, making for an adventure. It rained quite a bit on thursday and friday, and with the debris from the Aspen fire filling up the under part of the bridges, all the water flows right over the top. We didn't let that stop us. We went straight through the freezing cold water. So, after each bridge, I felt like I was running with ice blocks in my shoes. I definitely could not feel my feet, but my shoes were really heavy. Needless to say, I did alot of walking up the canyon. But, I made up for it on the way down and ran most of the way.

It took me about and hour and 45 minutes to go up and back. The trail is a little under 8 miles. I don't think that time is so bad (considering all the walking), but I know I will improve the the next time I run up there.

This Saturday we face 14 miles. It's funny. It doesn't seem quite as daunting as I would have tought. Granted, it's still a scary distance for me, but I know that I will complete it. I did 12 miles two weeks ago, and I survived :)

I have been focusing ALOT on stretching. Especially that IT band I talked about. It still bothers me, but it is getting under control. At the advice of an excellent DPT, I purchased a foam roller, and have been using it religiously. It can be pretty painful as it rolls along the IT band, but it's a "deep-tissue massage" sort of pain. It makes a big difference for me. I love it. I have been using it to aid in the stretching of most of my muscles.

68 days 'til the Rock 'n' Roll marathon!

Anyone want to join me? Hanako originally recruited me, and now I have Crystal, Tyson and David committed to 26.2 grueling miles! Misery loves company ;)



3 comments:

Hanako said...

I will definitely be there - and I think Brant is succumbing to the peer pressure too! I'm so proud of you - I knew you could do this! You're doing so awesome. :)

Anonymous said...

I just found out from Tyson that he too is running the marathon! I wish that John and I could run as well, but we are going to NJ for reunions.

Anonymous said...

What is the most recent run update!? Your fans demand new info! Love, Emmy and Sadie